Thursday, April 16, 2009

BLT for vegetarians

One thing most former meat eaters seem to have in common is a slightly perverse lingering fondness for bacon. I myself had this, at least for about the first 5 years after going meatless. Now it's not as strong, but the smell of bacon and coffee in the morning is still enough to bring a tear to my eye.


Not to mention all the dishes that are made with bacon, especially the sandwiches... BLTs, club sandwiches... I had just about given up hope that I would ever enjoy anything close again, when I came across this smoky tempeh product in Wheatsville about a year ago. It's actually a pretty good substitute for bacon, especially when sandwiched between mayo-enhanced toast, lettuce, and bacon.

Don't let its good looks fool you


The only drawback is that a fairly small package runs about $5. But for a once in a while treat, it's worth it. Still working on a replacement for the turkey and ham in a club... 

No comments:

Post a Comment