Thursday, December 31, 2009

Holiday Greetings from France

I was lucky to spend Christmas week in France this year, and got to sample some of the holiday foods associated with the season in that country, that I'd never had before...

The bûche de noel, a staple item in window displays all over the city, all decorated differently and in different flavors.

Pretty holiday cakes, also with decorations on top

It wasn't just sweets that were on display - many stores were selling prepared foods, including stuffed lobsters, foie gras, and escargots...

And nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a dessicated pig leg

In the Marais, Jewish bakeries had goodies on display as well

Not special for Hanukkah, I'm guessing, but I did lust after those donuts

I've been curious about marrons glacés for a long time, and got to try one from Fauchon. This one was "nature" i.e., not flavored with anything - and it was cultivated in France (yes, I got to choose the "terroir" of this candied chestnut)


It was kind of tasty on its own, but, having purchased two, I ate the second one with some thick yogurt, and enjoyed its nutty sweetness more that way.

2 comments:

  1. Actually the donut, especially jelly-filled, do have great significance in the celebration of Hanukkah. The eating of foods fried in oil such as latkes and donuts represent the commemoration of the miracle associated with the Temple oil. The Hebrew word for donuts is sufganiyah (suf-gan-e-yah)

    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I thought it was only the jelly ones that were specifically for Hanukkah - thanks for correcting me!

    ReplyDelete