Thursday, July 23, 2009

Favorite Food Movies

In anticipation of Julie & Julia, I've been remembering some of my favorite "food movies." Funny thing is, most movies that feature food prominently use it symbolically rather than being actually about food. Examples that come to mind are La Grande Bouffe (1973), The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover (1989), and Spirited Away (2001).

These next films, however, show a real enjoyment of food as food. I hope J & J does the same...


Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) - In this opening scene, I don't even know what half the things he's preparing are, but it still makes me drool! Directed by Ang Lee, two thumbs up.

Big Night (1996) - This is the final scene from the film, the "morning after" a big cooking blowout (featuring a timpano, among others). I've always loved the simplicity of this ending scene; sometimes all you need is scrambled eggs.

Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers (1980) - One of Les Blank's famed food movies, this one features Alice Waters and Chez Panisse, as well as other restaurants, home cooks, and even musicians, all extolling the virtues of garlic.

What are your favorite food movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment