Thursday, February 26, 2009

Faves: Yogurt

When did my love affair with yogurt begin? I remember eating it as a child, though not with any particular relish. Back then it just seemed like a poor substitute for ice cream. But ice cream for breakfast, though it may have happened in Little Miss Sunshine, was not a common occurrence in my childhood.

I think I can date a true appreciation of yogurt to the time I spent in France in 2002. That was the first time I remember seeing such a dazzling variety of yogurts in a grocery store. More important, the hostel where we stayed for the first couple of weeks served fromage blanc at breakfast, along with a few other things... Not wanting to have a croissant every morning I got hooked on the yogurt-like substance and continued to eat it on my own, especially with a little fruit preserves or honey mixed in. Sooo gooood.

Back in the states I had a hard time finding a similar product... Most yogurts were thinner, which is not bad (in fact I ate a lot of runny White Mountain yogurt and saved the jars as bulk storage) but does not have the deliciousness factor of the thicker, richer yogurts.

Then a couple of years ago Central Market started carrying Fage... And from there the thick, boutique yogurt craze has mushroomed like an acidophilus culture. In San Francisco, one of the well-known farmers market vendors sells small batch yogurt in recyclable pottery cups. Never tried it, but it has a true following. Here in Austin, I can now spend 30 minutes in front of the yogurt selection at Central Market... So many to choose from. And from what I hear, fro-yo is making a comeback after a facelift.

Yogurt is one of those little indulgences--if you get the kind that isn't reduced fat--that is just healthy enough to be enjoyed on a semi-regular basis. Maybe that's why its popularity is growing. Me, I keep it around (usually plain white yogurt) for breakfast, for snacks, for baking (can often be used instead of buttermilk), even for dips/salad dressings...


Canadian yogurt from Central Market

Yum-o

Re-used White Mountain yogurt jar

Anyway the yogurt-philia is already causing other good things besides smoother digestive action for the masses: Yoplait recently announced they will be fazing out yogurt made with milk treated with rBGH by August.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite plain yogurt is Liberté 2%. It's thinner and smoother than most, great for mixing with homemade granola (http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/recipe-of-the-day-crunchy-granola/).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I will have to try this! I usually just buy my granola in bulk but I like the idea of being able to choose what to mix into it.

    ReplyDelete