Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dining Out: Torchy's Tacos

I rarely make it to the South Side, but last week was Spring Break and I had the opportunity to try the goods at Torchy's Tacos, which has been around for a while and recently opened a location near UT as well.


Torchy's, along with two other trailers (one a burger joint, the other a gift shop), makes up the "South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery." A bit gimmicky if you ask me, but on a nice day it's quite pleasant to sit outside under the trees off South First Street.


Nothing on the menu is what I'd consider "standard." The queso, above, has green chilis and is topped with hot sauce, queso fresco, and cilantro.

Fried Avocado Taco

Green chili pork taco and "dirty sanchez" taco

I didn't order the pork--they gave it to me by mistake--but my dining companion Lizzie had ordered one herself and declared it to be tasty.

The Dirty Sanchez taco

This was my favorite part of the meal--fluffy egg topped with guacamole, fried poblano, and escabeche carrots.

All tacos come with either flour or corn tortillas. Drink selections are minimal--they could use a couple of aguas frescas or even just iced tea.

Bonus dessert pic: chocolates at Whole Foods during SXSW

No comments:

Post a Comment