Thursday, March 12, 2009

Eat Your Veggies: Kale Chips

One of the least-anticipate side effects of being mostly vegetarian, I've discovered, is random cravings for vegetables. You'd think it would be the opposite--random cravings for hamburgers or pork ribs--but surprisingly often I think, "Wow, what I really want is a big helping of really tasty veggies." 

Until recently, those cravings were never for kale, but that may be changing. Kale belongs to the leafy green family, those miracle plants that are supposed to be so good for you yet are often intimidating in their leafiness and "healthy" taste. Having enjoyed kale in a stir fry a few weeks back, I came across this recipe for kale "chips" (or crisps, if you prefer) and decided to give it a shot.

In the pan

On the plate

They are very good. In fact, I ate them all in one sitting (about one small kale head's worth). Very delicate and crisp. Highly recommended! I kept mine in the oven a little longer than the recipe called for, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment